Sunday, October 24, 2010

A short entry on Bandung

I can't really say a lot about Bandung because I didn't really do any sightseeing there. I was in Bandung for work, and basically as soon as my last event was done, I went back to Jakarta. I was able to do a lot of shopping there, though. They have tons of factory outlets where you can find brands like Ralph Lauren and Burberry for really cheap because these designers get their clothing manufactured here, and the flawed items end up getting sold right here in Bandung at a fraction of the cost. Some of the stuff is apparently really good knock-offs, mainly the purses, but a lot of times, they're still really good quality. Like you can still get a Prada purse in leather or Louis Vuitton, and where usually these bags could cost you thousands, here, you can get them for around $100 US or less. So I ended up getting a lot of gifts for people here.

I learned today, actually, that there is a volcano near Bandung with hot springs and stuff, so maybe next time I'll check that out. It's amazing how many things there are to do in Java alone, and that doesn't include any other island, like Sumatra or Bali or anywhere else.

One thing I can say about Indonesia generally, because I got to try a couple of different places for local food, is that the food is really yummy, and they have iced tea here that actually tastes like fresh, cold tea. It's almost like having a sweet tea when you're in the South in the US. It's very tasty and refreshing, but I'm still on the lookout for some fresh, cold soy milk on the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment