Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Singapore fun

I'm back in Southeast Asia on a work trip again, and the more I travel here, the more I have places to go and people to see.  I had made friends with someone that was on contract with the Canadian High Commission last year, and we had a great time hanging out while I was in Singapore.  It was also nice to see my friends, the other recruiters.  We're pretty much the same bunch every time, and I love to see them.  The irony is that we don't live near each other in Canada, but somehow Southeast Asia is nearer since we always get sent here for work!

My time in Singapore was otherwise uneventful.  I have favourite places to eat now, like at Arab Street and Bugis, and the only sightseeing I did was one afternoon at the Gardens by the Bay.  By now, if you're a regular reader of my blog, you'll know that I love to take photos of flora, and this place was basically somewhere I could take photo after photo of flowers!  I hope it won't bore you too much!

I don't have much else to say about the Gardens, other than that I saw only the flower dome and cloud forest exhibits as I was too tired to see anything else after that, but I did want to mention that the one negative part about the place is that they play music and nature sounds.  When you walk into the flower dome, you feel like you could meditate there for hours.  They have photos of animals that typically live in both the cloud forest and various climate zones of the flower dome, but you don't actually see any of them; they just play bird sounds over speakers that are fairly conspicuous amongst the plants.  It kind of takes away from the charm, but the place is still quite relaxing. On a related note, if you ever go there, when you get to the cloud forest, you're supposed to go right to the very top level and then work your way down after seeing the main floor.  It's not posted anywhere, but there were only down escalators, making me think that they're expecting you work your way down from the top.  Photos will come eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment