Monday, August 3, 2020

Hotel life - Week 5

I seem to manage to find adventure no matter what I do. In terms of discovering new places during the past week, I visited Paul Kane Park. It's a little park in Edmonton. It's named after a well-known Canadian painter who was in part known as one of the earliest people to document the lives of First Nations peoples before colonisation had taken place. I didn't really know much about him other than having just heard of his name before.  



In any case, as he was a landscape artist, this park was designed as an art park to pay homage to his landscapes and has a man-made pond and water feature that trickles water down into a very shallow stream that runs into the pond. The stream has benches on either side of it, and at some points it's close enough where you can take your shoes off and just let the water run over your feet. As we went on a super hot day, this was a refreshing activity, and it also reminded me of Heritage Days when I was little, and my parents would also stop at this little creek that would trickle water into the man-made pond at Hawrelak park. We would take our shoes off and cool our feet in the water after walking around for hours in the heat. The stream sometimes is dry now, but when it's not, it always seems to be muddy there, and the rocks covered in that slimy green plant, so it's not a good place for that anymore. I know with Paul Kane Park, I won't have to worry about that happening, and it's definitely a place I want to return to!

The beginning of the stream
 In other news, I ended up rescuing another animal--in this case, a German shepherd puppy! We noticed this puppy in a red and white t-shirt on the street corner, trying to chew on a straw from someone's discarded Slurpee container, and I wanted to get the straw out of its mouth as it seemed very dangerous--not to mention the fact that the puppy also was just out with no apparent owner in sight. So I looked for a tag on his collar, and luckily it had one of those kind with his name and a phone number. It took me a while to get the phone number because, being a puppy, he was super silly and playful and kept jumping around and play biting, and I was trying not to allow his teeth to sink in too much. Anyway, I was able to finally get the number, and the person I spoke with seemed really surprised that I was calling about his dog. Within seconds, a girl of about 12 or so appeared from the house right next to where the puppy was! It seems that their gate somehow got open, and out went the puppy to explore the big world outside! I was really glad I was able to help out, especially a dog of that breed being very susceptible to theft, and if he'd been any bigger, it might have been too dangerous to approach him, and he would have been take by the City. The owners would have paid a hefty fine to get him back since he is unlicensed! So apparently animal rescue is my new thing... hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment