Sunday, July 19, 2020

Hotel life - Week 3 (thoughts about "home")

 This week's highlights of discovering my own city was Borden Park. Since I've mostly lived on the outskirts of the city, this was another place I had never known about, let alone been to before. There are a lot of sculptures in the park, my most favourite being this colourful piece, not only for the sculpture itself, but also for the way it casts shadows on the ground.  There were a lot of little red squirrels running around, too. I know they can be an annoyance in a yard or home, but in nature, they're super cute.

This week had me thinking again about home. I've probably written about it in my blog somewhere before, but as someone who had lived overseas for a bit, was born of and grew up in an intercultural household, and have travelled extensively, I sometimes felt like a nomad. That's why my original blog name is about a wayfaring stranger; I have often felt like I'm just a little person trying to make my way in a big world. My childhood home was sold, and my grandparents' house, where I spent my childhood summers, is no longer accessible because it was sold as well, so sometimes I have felt a little homeless.

Without going into a long rant, now that I'm married, I understand my mom's sentiment that home is really where the people you love are. I have been working on trying to be less attached to "things," material things. Even houses--writ homes--are things, at the end of the day. Even though we're living in a hotel, when my husband and I are out, I'll say, "let's go home," and I'm referring to the hotel. My husband is my home. Where we are together, it becomes home to me. I also referred to the long-term storage place as home the other day, so clearly I still need to work on the attachment to things because I was referring to some of the things that are in the storage location that made me think of it as home, too! 😆

Anyway, it's nice to feel a bit of an anchor feeling like there is a home for me now, even if that anchor moves to different locations.  

In good news, we learned our passports are finalised, so once we get those, we'll be that much closer to to actually departing Edmonton and finalising our travel dates!

No comments:

Post a Comment