Friday, August 2, 2019

On the Road Again

I don"t get to travel too often at the moment, so my travel blog seems like an archive. However, I still have plans to travel more in the future but get to go on a road trip this summer. This morning, my husband and I started out from home and made it to Regina, and we're headed to Ottawa, where he is working for a short stint. We decided we would drive there rather than fly and take our road trip through a few places in the US. I have done a trip like this before on a Greyhound bus, one summer when I was going into Grade 5, I think it was, and we could afford to fly, so my mom and brother and I went to visit my uncle in New York City. I have historically been a sturdy traveller, not prone to jet lag or motion sickness, but that time, I did get nauseated quite often because we were moving so much. It was a 3-day trip during which we only stopped to eat meals or switch buses and drivers. It was a beautiful way to see the country as we traversed the Trans-Canada highway from Regina to what I assume was Niagaray Falls since we crossed into Buffalo, NY, but it was hard to be moving so much in such a short space of time. I have often thought it would be neat to do a trip like that again but with my own vehicle when I have time to spare because then you can stop when and where you want.
This morning we left for Regina. I haven't been to Regina very likely since that trip to New York, so I didn't know that the trip was less flat and boring than I thought it would be. We had a lot of cloud cover and fog, but it made it feel like England from home until we reached the Battlefords, lots of moist air and lush landscapes, and then the sky cleared with hot sun for the rest of the day. We had a very relaxing drive, though it was a relatively long day.
After eating dinner at a decent but not too exciting Indo-Pakistani restaurant, we went for a walk. We are staying downtown and happened upon the federal buildings and a park around a large cenotaph in the middle. The buildings are beautiful, and it looks like Regina has done a better job of keeping alive its historical buildings than many other prairie cities I have seen. There are many buildings with traditional masonry carvings and giant Greco-Roman style pillars. It gives downtown a grandeur that I did not expect. Not sure if I will come back to visit Regina again just as a tourist, but I'm glad I got a chance to return here and see how lovely it is.
I have probably mentioned before that since Google no longer supports Picasa, I can no longer post albums in thumbnail form, so the link to my small photo album from this city will have to suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment