Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Ottawa 2019

Actual border between Canada and the US
!000 Islands view
As I mentioned in my last post, we drove from Syracuse to Ottawa on Friday. It was pretty uneventful, but it was a little nerve-wracking for me to drive while going through the border, as I always feel that border guards are scarier than the ones in the airports for some reason, and also because we ended up having to go over this really high-arched bridge as we drove through the 1000 islands region. I have a fear of heights, and it is coupled with the fear of being on a bridge when it collapses, so it was not fun to drive that part. However, it is also good to conquer your fears or to at least keep on going in spite of them, and that is what I did. The scenery is beautiful in that region, though, and while I was too scared to look out on that bridge, I had a chance to snap a couple of photos once my husband took over driving on the Canada side, not only to give me a break from driving but also because he is more familiar with Ottawa than I am.


Our primary focus since arrival has been to set up my husband's place where he will stay for the year, but we wanted to do some sightseeing together as well. We went to the War Museum yesterday, which I enjoyed, but I did not take any photos there because it isn't really a place where you can take a lot of photos since the lighting is poor, and much of it is just artifacts of war and military stuff. The only photo I did take was of the game True Dough Mania, which I proudly own. It's a hilarious game made by some serious non-Trudeau supporters. I was too young to have an opinion about the senior Trudeau, so I really don't have an opinion about him, but I like the game because it's just comical. In any case, I wish we had a museum like that at home as it would be a great resource for social studies being able to take students there in a more interactive way to learn about the world wars and Canada's military.

On Saturday, we went to Parliament Hill, stopping at the War Memorial along the way. We happened to arrive shortly before the changing of the guard, so it was neat to be there for that ceremony. It isn't as extensive as the changing of the guard along the India-Pakistan border nor at Buckingham Palace in London--neither of which I've seen but have heard about from others, but it is still interesting to see. There are also only 2 guards as compared to all the other guards at these other locations, so it only makes sense that the ceremony would not be as extensive. We continued on to Parliament Hill, which I was very excited about, because I wanted to get some really good close-up shots of the details and gargoyles on the building now that I have a camera with a much better zoom lens. The Parliament buildings are really beautiful, and most people would focus on the entire thing, but I like seeing details that most other people can't see or would notice. I discovered, for example, that there are beavers carved all over the the place. It almost became a game for me to see how many beavers I could find. I also took a photo of the scenery from the main entrance of the building. It's one of the things I like to do when I travel is to see what everyone is missing when they're focusing on the big thing in front of them. Sometimes you can end up missing something beautiful in its own right. Since I took enough photos, I ended up putting them in an album.

These are my travels! I don't know when I will make my next post, as it will depend on when I travel again, but I hope you've enjoyed my little journey. I may make one about our little trip to Gatineau park today if we return tomorrow for me to go on my birding tour. We got rained out today, so doing the walk was unfeasible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment